How To Hack a Garage Door Opener
Here’s a garage door opener hack you will love! If you are like me you don’t want to leave your garage door opener in the open. If you park outside of your garage its kind of like leaving your house key in your seat. We’ve seen a lot of great ideas but this one may win the contest for most savvy. Check it out and let us know what you think.
The weather’s been so nice I decided to take the doors off the Jeep and drop the top but this leaves our garage door opener available to dis-artist fingers. I could put it in the glove box and lock it up but that’s not convenient. I could even put it in the center console but that is not convenient so it’s time to hack it.
For this practical project you’re gonna need garage door opener, a small momentary switch, a double strand of wire and a small box to put everything in.
- The first step is to crack open your opener. I used a small screwdriver to gently pried apart.
- Once inside you’ll find the small circuit board. The button cell battery in our target the little switch that activates the garage door opener.
- Pop the button cell battery out so I wasn’t opening and closing the garage door the entire time.
- Then I removed the circuit board from the housing. It just takes a couple clips and now since we’re gonna be wiring into the small switch I use my multimeter and put it in continuity bow to find the proper context.
- I’ll show you a special feature using a drill in a small beer drilled a hole in and the box then I said one end of our double stranded wire through the whole.
- I split the enzyme that wire and then stripped elite. Now it’s time to solder those two wires to the switch in our garage door opener. I’m using a basic momentary switch that you can find online or at your local electronics retailer.
- Slide the stranded wire to the switch.
- Now it’s time to put it all back together so all clip in the button cell battery. Add some Velcro to the bottom of the board in securing into our little housing.
- Then I snapped the top back in place now check this out the little door allows me access to change the battery.
- Now it’s time to find somewhere to secure its alright under my steering column. There’s a small panel that pops out this will be a great spot.
- Bought it back inside individual a small hole in the area were I want the switch. I inserted the switch from the back and then securely tighten it. After I determined where I wanted to put this I trim the wire down and restarted it.
- Now it’s time to add some heavy duty Velcro to the bottom of our little housing. In the inside of our panel our newly relocated garage door opener is ready to go.
- The last step was just a pop the panel back in place and now I have no worries about leaving our Jeep topless. This will allow me to get inside.
That’s how to hack your garage door opener and make it safe and secure.